Monday, October 17, 2011

Mad Town Nutbrown - Ale Asylum


Vitals:

Name: Mad Town Nutbrown
Style: American Brown Ale
IBU: ??
ABV: 5.5%
Gravity: ??
Purchased at: Riley's Wines of the World

Descriptions:

Appearance: Pours a medium-colored brown with a very slight amount of tan head. Poor retention/lacing and wispy cap. This beer has a ton of debris in suspension that has me quite concerned. Not much visible carbonation.

Smell: Sweet caramelized and roasted malts - you get a big nutty smell (hence the name, I suppose) and also a faint cocoa scent. Smells pretty good and should have a great malt backing. My concerns about the debris have temporarily been alleviated/forgotten.

Taste: Very sweet and malty throughout the whole experience...the malt backing is very well toasted. You get a slightly bitter finish with some earthy hops (just slightly so). I guess my issue is that, while the taste is solid and stable throughout the experience, you don't get much complexity...nothing changes or "evolves" as you go through the taste experience. You perhaps get a tiny chocolate flavor too, but I'm not really even certain of that. Decent but forgettable.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth drink without much carbonation. Probably a medium body, but nothing really special...drinkable at least.

Overall Grade: B-

Comments: This beer is just OK for me - I'm sort of at a loss because nothing really stood out to me as great throughout the experience. Ale Asylum usually puts out a better effort in my opinion, but I am also not an enormous fan of brown ales...so take it for what it's worth. If you like brown ales this is worth a try; otherwise probably not.

Cheers,
Hurls

No comments:

Post a Comment