Saturday, April 30, 2011

Dancing Man Wheat - New Glarus

Third review of the night, third New Glarus beer. I can't help it...if they have beer that I haven't tried I have to give it a shot (for the most part).

Dancing Man Wheat is a bright and lively hefeweizen wheat beer, but I have to say I have to try this beer without the influence of any type of fruit additive. I think a solid wheat beer should be able to stand on its own, but that's just my opinion :-). Beer stats are as follows:

Name: Dancing Man Wheat
Style: German Hefeweizen
IBU: 10 - 15?
ABV: 7.2%
Gravity: ~1.055?
Purchased at: Riley's Wines of the World


The Descriptions: As you can see this beer poured very head-y and took quite a while to settle down so I could pour the whole bottle. The smell of this beer is amazing, sort of like banana and cloves and is a deep yellowish-gold in color. True to German Hefeweizen form, this beer is extremely hazy/cloudy giving it that nice unfiltered look and taste.

This beer tastes as good as it smells, reinforcing the banana and clove flavors and also with a slight citrus taste. The beer is somewhat dry but finishes very smoothly and is very very very deceptive insofar as the alcohol doesn't come through as a 7.2% ABV beer. The beer isn't overly yeasty, which is awesome, and it has a creamy hefeweizen-esque mouthfeel.

Overall Grade: A-

Comments: Honestly, this is one of the better wheat beers I have had recently. If they are offering it in kegs I may consider getting a quarter barrel of it this summer. In 90 degree weather this would be absolutely perfect to enjoy in the sun. It's a very refreshing beer and is a must try for anyone who has any interest in drinking a hefeweizen. This totally redeems the Two Women lager that I finished prior to this one. Go out and pickup some of this while you can.

Cheers,
Hurls

No comments:

Post a Comment