Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Texas Speedbump IPA - Great Dane Brewpub


So, the other night Sarah and I went out to the Great Dane to get dinner and a beer before settling in to do some homework (I know, right?). It made sense at the time.

As a quick aside, I would like to (from a past visit to the Dane, but this visit reminded me of it) emphatically recommend that people NOT get the Tri-Pepper Pilsner. I got it a few months prior in a sampler platter at the Dane (Downtown) and was utterly disgusted. It was like drinking peppers soaked in Coors Light and urine. I could not stomach it. Unless you love peppers do not get that beer.

At any rate, I asked my server which was better, the Texas Speedbump IPA and the Potter's Run IPA. He recommended the Speedbump, so that's what I went with. He gave me a sample of the Potter's Run, which only confirmed his recommendation and my selection. I found the Potter's Run to be flat. It came with absolutely no head, left no lace, and while it did smell good (like cinnamon and/or ginger) it just didn't resonate at all. I expect a beer to evolve as it hits different parts of my tongue and this beer was completely static throughout the entire experience. Maybe I just got a bad batch but I would definitely not recommend this beer.

On to the real stuff (apologies that the Dane doesn't have any stats on their beer):

Name: Texas Speedbump IPA
Style: IPA
IBU: ??
ABV: ??
Gravity: ??
Purchased at: Great Dane (Downtown) - Pint

The Descriptions: This IPA was a deep amber/orange when it arrived at our table, with about a finger of light, white head that stuck around as a nice lace for a while. The beer smelled very strong, as most IPAs do, of citrus and pine, but also had a minty smell to it. The beer was full-bodied with a grapefruit aftertaste. One of my favorite things about this beer was that it "built" nicely from the beginning of the sip until the finish. The bad part of this beer was that it was not very well-balanced with malts; the bitterness came through a bit more than was necessary, or expected.

Overall Grade: B-

Comments: This was not a bad beer, per se, just not quite as balanced as I'd like, and there are so many good pale ales (APA, IPA, IIPA, etc.) out there. It was actually a decent beer for the Dane, and I would buy it again there (if I don't get their Old Glory APA, or the Crop Circle Wheat). In my experience, I would go to the Dane for some Wisconsin Style Cheddar Mac and wash it down with one of their decent brews.

Cheers,
Hurls

No comments:

Post a Comment