Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Robert the Bruce - Three Floyd's Brewing

So, here goes nothing with my first dark beer review - a Scottish Ale. I feel better about the fact that I'm trying this one out because it's brewed by Three Floyd's, which is typically just great all-around in what they brew. Let's see how it goes!


Vitals:

Name: Robert the Bruce
Style: Scottish Ale
IBU: 30
ABV: 7.0%
Gravity: ??
Purchased at: Trixie's Liquor

Descriptions:

Appearance: Pours a deep mahogany color that reveals an almost dark ruby color if you hold it in the light. About half a finger of tan head (I'm surprised there wasn't more than that) which is pretty creamy but doesn't stick around too long.

Smell: Believe it or not the primary smell I get here is of raisins. There is a very sweet note to the aroma, maybe grapes or brown sugar? All of this is held up by a strong roasted malt smell. On second thought, I think what I smell is a hint of figs (maybe not the grapes/brown sugars that I hinted at earlier).

Taste: This beer is GOOD; you get a strong roasted flavor from the outset (it's almost like coffee in the way it tastes roasted). You get a bit of chocolate undertones as well I think. You can definitely note the 7.0% ABV in the aftertaste, just a BIT more than you should, IMHO. You get some leafy hops at the finish, giving it a slight bitterness, and the beer warms you up slightly as it goes down. The most surprising thing with the taste is that the raisin smell didn't manifest itself in the beer very strongly, if at all.

Mouthfeel: THIS is where the beer is a huge win for me. If I'm going to drink a darker beer I want it to be a medium body type like this. There's a tiny bit of chewiness to it, but also a lot of carbonation, which strangely play well off of each other and create a great drinking experience.

Overall Grade: B+

Comments: This is a very good beer, and I've come to expect nothing less from Three Floyd's. The beer is quite deceiving when you get to the mouthfeel after only looking at the beer. The taste is unique and the body invites you to have a few, unlike some other darker beers that leave you feeling like you just ate a 3 course meal involving a very large chunk of red meat. This certainly wins some points for dark beer in my book and could very well expand my horizons (you're welcome, Bhavin). If you can get your hands on this and are a fan of dark beer, definitely pick some up and try it out. If you hate dark beers with a fiery passion, this could possibly sway you a bit, but it's all about keeping an open mind and appreciating the beer for what it is!

Cheers,
Hurls

No comments:

Post a Comment